Silence Is the Most Polite Response
Silence Is the Most Polite Response
The more I got to know people, the more I realized that silence is the most polite reaction.
I used to believe that every disagreement should be resolved through dialogue; I should explain, defend myself, prove my point, and convince others. I thought that if I told the truth, everyone would understand.
But over time and as I came to know people better, I reached a different conclusion: not everything is worth talking about, and not everything is even worth arguing about.
I realized that sometimes silence is not a sign of weakness, but a sign of insight.
The more experience I gained with people, the more I understood that not everyone is made to listen. Some ask questions not to understand, but to judge. Some are not looking for the truth, but for an opportunity to find their own answers.
In such moments, continuing the discussion is meaningless and can even destroy one's inner peace.
Perhaps many people have reached this conclusion many times in their lives, but only a few have the courage to express it.
Sometimes silence is a sign of self-respect, because silence does not always mean agreement. Sometimes we remain silent because we know the truth, and someone who does not want to see it will not see it even after a thousand explanations.
Therefore, not every door is worth knocking on, and not every argument is worth continuing.
Of course, some people try to win by talking too much, but a mature person knows that the one who gets the last word is not always the winner.
In psychology, a mature person learns that not every emotion needs an immediate response and that not every behavior deserves a reaction.
Sometimes silence creates a distance between an emotion and a decision and allows us to choose instead of simply reacting.
Of course, silence is not always the best option. In the face of oppression, injustice, and suffering, telling the truth can be a moral obligation.
However, in many everyday conflicts, silence can be a sign of wisdom; when someone realizes that telling the truth is no longer an option, but merely a continuation of an endless conflict.
Perhaps the most beautiful form of silence can be described this way: a silence that comes not from pride, but from peace.
A silence that comes not from fear, but from understanding.
A silence that does not represent indifference, but rather the choice of the right time and place to speak.
In the end, perhaps the better we know people, the more we realize that our worth is not always measured by the number of answers we give; sometimes it lies in our ability to remain silent when we could have said something, but consciously chose not to.
Author: Gouya Roshan
All rights reserved

Comments
Post a Comment