The Mouse Wouldn’t Go Into the Hole, Yet It Tied a Broom to Its Tail
The Mouse Wouldn’t Go Into the Hole, Yet It Tied a Broom to Its Tail
Sometimes certain words remind me of an old proverb:
The mouse wouldn’t go into the hole, yet it tied a broom to its tail.
In other words, some people have not even made sure they can get through the hole, yet they have already equipped themselves with flags and loudspeakers!
For example, some people say that Reza Pahlavi speaks on behalf of the Iranian people. This is exactly one of those cases.
I don’t understand; has a revolution taken place and we somehow missed it?
Or has he become king while we are still asleep?
What I mean is: On behalf of which people?
On behalf of me, as an Iranian?
On behalf of the millions of Iranians who do not want him?
On behalf of those who oppose the monarchy?
On behalf of those who want the Islamic Republic?
Or only on behalf of a small section of people outside Iran who support him?
Of course, he is completely entitled to say:
“This is what my supporters and I want.”
There is nothing wrong with that.
But for one person to open his mouth and speak on behalf of an entire nation is truly unacceptable to me.
The Iranian people have not given him such authority.
Neither have I given him such authority, nor have the millions of Iranians who do not think exactly like him.
It is truly shameful for an individual to present himself as the voice of people who have not even had the opportunity or the ability to express their views about the form of government they want for their country’s future.
How can you consider yourselves elected when you have not even been elected?
How can you make decisions on behalf of the people when they have not even voted?
And how can one person speak with such confidence on behalf of “the Iranian people,” as if he has entered Iranian territory, passed the ballot box, and put the verdict of millions of people in his pocket?
For me, this is not merely a political claim; it is an insult to the intelligence of the Iranian people.
Even if I completely agree with a politician, I will not allow them to speak on my behalf unless I have freely given them such authority.
Because I am the owner of my own vote.
You are the owner of your own vote.
Every Iranian is the owner of their own vote.
And no one has the right to collect these votes, put them in their pocket, then stand in front of the cameras and say:
“I speak on behalf of the Iranian people.”
No.
Speak for yourself.
Speak for your supporters.
Speak for the people who trust you.
But when no one has yet given you such a right, do not put the Iranian people behind you.
Iran is no one’s personal possession.
Iran is not the political inheritance of any dynasty or individual.
The Iranian people are not extras for any politician to speak on behalf of whenever necessary.
If one day the people of Iran, on Iranian soil and through a free and genuine election, choose him, I will be the first person to accept his right to speak as their representative.
But until then, he is simply an ordinary individual; not the voice of a nation.
And this is not a small difference.
This is the difference between “I want” and “the people want.”
And I genuinely wonder:
How can one person confuse the two?
If I were in his position, before saying, “I speak on behalf of the Iranian people,” I would take a moment alone and ask myself:
“Who made me the representative of this nation?”
If I did not know the answer, I would remain silent.
Because sometimes remaining silent is far more respectful than speaking on behalf of people who have not chosen you.
And perhaps some people should make sure there is actually a hole they can fit through before tying a broom to their tails. 🐭
Author: Gouya Roshan
All rights reserved.

Comments
Post a Comment